Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Important Places in Salem

Salem town is 6 kms from Salem junction. The name "Salem" is enchanting perhaps because of the association of Jerusalem with that Apostle of Love, Jesus Christ. The name derived from the word "Sailam" - meaning an area surrounded by mountains. It is rich in mineral wealth. Salem is known for it's gold, silver and steel products. Salem is called The Steel City of the South. The river Manimutheru flows through the city. To the East is the old city consisting of shops and establishments. 

Places to visit

The various places of interest are, Shree Sukbaneshwar or Lord Shiva temple, Mariyamman Temple, Ramkrishna Math, Juma Masjid of Tipu, London Missionary Society, a fort in dilapitated condition and Salem Steel Plant. The Indian Institute of Handloom Technology is located here. The Government Museum at Omalur contains valuable collections of terracottas and sculptures.

Poiman Karadu 

9 kms from Salem is this particular spot, the likeness of a deer with 2 horns, seen from the plains to the east. The mysterious vision disappears when you get nearer. Hence the name.


On the banks of the Vasistanadhi is located Belur with a ruined Siva temple. The roofing of the portico is a good specimen of the square within a square type.

Mettur Dam 

One of the largest of its kind in the world, it was completed in 1934. The total length of the dam is 1700 m. The quantity of water stored is 93,500 million cubic ft, and the height of the dam above the riverbed is 176 ft. The dam provides irrigation facilities to Salem, Trichy and Thanjavur districts for 2,71,000 acres. The Mettur Hydro Electrical project is also quite large. A thermal plant is also coming up. The dam, the park, the major hydroelectric stations and hills on all sides make Mettur a good tourist's attraction.


24kms from Salem, this town is famous for the Kailashnatha Temple. The rotating lotus flowers made of stone, statues of Rathi-Manmatha, Vali-Sugriva and the Yali with rotating stone ball in its mouth are some of the beautiful sculptures.

Kolli Hills 

This is the second hill station in the district at an altitude of 1190 mts. the Arappateeswarar temple on Chathuragiri Hills is quite famous. This place is at a distance of 48 kms and 100 kms from Namakkal and Salem respectively and can be reached by bus. The Agasakangai waterfall is unique scenery.


It is one of the 7 'Sirasthalams' in Kongunadu. The presiding deity is 'Arthanarishwarar' half male and half female form i.e. Siva and Sakti and is worshipped as one. This type of worship at the sanctum is the unique feature in Tiruchengode.


50 kms south of Salem is the town of Namakkal famous for its Vishnu temple, the fort and the massive Hanuman. The town lies at the foot of the rock, 200 mts. high and ½ mile in circumference. There is a fort on the rock. There are 2 rock cut cave temples dedicated to Narasimhaswamy and Ranganathaswamy. The huge Hanuman statue is carved out of a single stone.


Yercaud in the Shevaroy range of Salem district is a quiet and lovely hill station with a pleasant cool climate and attracts tourists throughout the year.

Bears Cave 

It is on the way to Servaroyan temple and is an important tourist spot.

The Servaroyan Temple 

It is on the top of the hill of the same name. The annual festival in the month of May is a colorful event in which hundreds of tribal people take part.

Yercaud and the entire Shevaroy Hills are known for thriving coffee plantations, pears, oranges and bananas. The nearest airport is Trichy. It is also connected by buses to various places. Nearest railhead is Salem.

Hogenakkal (114 kms) 

This obscure village on the Tamilnadu side of the Karnataka border is the point where the stream Sanatha-kumaranadhi meets the swift flowing Cauvery. Situated about 250 m above sea level, Hogenakkal is connected by good motorable roads from Salem via Dharampuri. The main attraction is the bath in the falls, dropping vertically from a height of 20 m with a thundering sound. 

Hogenakkal in Kannada means 'Smoking Rock', a name derived from the cloud of mist and spray that envelops the chasm. A sacred bathing place, Hogenakkal is well known for the curative powers of the water. It is located 46 kms from Dharampuri, 114 kms from Salem and 133 kms from Bangalore. Hotel reservations can be made through the TTDC.

How to get there: 

By Air: Trichi is the nearest airport. Flights connect to Chennai, Bangalore and Coimbatore. 
By Road/Rail: Salem has its railway staion and trains run from it all the major cities in tamil Nadu, Keral and Karnataka.By bus also Salem is connected to all major cities in Tamilnadu.

Friday, April 6, 2012

Important Tourist Places in Kanniyakumari

Fountain at Kanniyakumari
Kanyakumari district, which lies in the southern most tip of Peninsular India, is famous for its majestic hills, virgin beaches, pristine rivers and meandering rivulets. The district has a fragrance of architecture culture and customs of neighbouring Kerala mixed with the rich deep traditions, culture and architecture of Tamil Nadu. However, for want of promotional campaign and lack of basic amenities most of the tourists coming to this district return back after seeing just Kanyakumari and Padmanabhapuram Palace. It was at this juncture that the district administration decided to take up tourism promotion initiatives in a major way. Attempt has been made to put up basic amenities at the virgin beautiful spots so as to facilitate the inflow of the tourists.
Mahatma Gandhi Memorial
The place has been associated with great men like Swami Vivekananda and Mahatma Gandhi in whose names memorials have been here.  They are very beautiful and add to the attraction of this place.  The beautiful Gandhi Memorial completed in 1956, is situated as a memorial to the Father of the Nation.  An urn  of Mahatma Gandhi was kept here for public to pay homage before immersion.             Mahatma Gandhi visited Kanyakumari twice in 1925 and 1937.   Mahatma Gandhi visited Kanyakumari in January 1937.  In 1948 his ashes were immersed in the sea waters in Kanyakumari.   In commemoration of this event a beautiful monument has been constructed here.  Its central shape is 79 feet high representing the age of the Mahatma at the time of the sun at Mid day on 2nd October would fall on the peedam through a hole in the roof.  The memorial was transferred to the administrative control of the Public (Information and Public Relations)  Department from Public Works Department of Government of Tamil Nadu in the year 1978.
Visting Hours -7 AM To 7 PM . Entrance Free
 Thiruvalluvar Statue
Thiruvalluvar is the immortal poet of Tamil Nadu and has given to the world  Thirukkural.   The memorial statue of Thiruvalluvar is in Kanyakumari.  The pedestal of the statue is of 38 feet height and the statue over it is 95 feet tall with a grand total of 133 feet for the entire sculpture.  The 3 tier pedestal  known as Atharapeedam is surrounded by an artistic Mandapa known as Alankara Mandapam with 38 feet height.  Surrounding the Alankara Mandapa stand 10 elephant statues signifying 8 directions with earth and space down.  The father of Sri. Rama, the hero of Ramayana was called Dasaratha as he was able to charioteer in ten directions.  To help the tourists to worship the holy feet of Thiruvalluvar 140 steps are constructed inside the Mandapa.      The pedestal with a height of 38 feet represents the 38 chapters in the Book of Aram in Thirukural and the statue of 95 feet on the pedestal represents the total chapters in Porul (70 chapters) and Inbam (25 Chapters).  Thus the statue symbolically, and artistically signifies that the theme of Porul and Inbam are based on Aram.    Visting Hours -8 AM To 4 PM .
Chief Sculptor
Dr. V. Ganapathy Sthapathi
Height of the statue of Thiruvalluvar
95 feet
Total pieces of stones utilised for the statue
Weight of  the statue
2000 tons
Height of the Athaara Peedam
38 feet
Total pieces of stone utilized
Weight of the stones in the Peedam
1500 tons
Total height of the monument
133 feet
Height of the Alankara-Mandapam
38 feet
Total pieces of stones utilized for the Mandapam
Weight of the stones in the Mandapam
3500 tons
Total weight of the whole structure
7000 tons
Number of steps upward
Number of steps downward
Kamarajar Manimandapam 
Another monument Kamarajar Manimandapam was raised and dedicated to Late.  Sri. Kamarajar, The freedom fighter, Former Chief minister of Tamil Nadu, President of Indian National Congress.  He  was popularly known as Black Gandhi among the masses and king maker during congress regime.  This  monument was constructed  where his ashes were kept here for public to pay homage before immersion into the sea. Visting Hours -7 AM To 7 PM.
Vivekananda Rock Memorial
Vivekananda Rock Memorial is another place in Kanyakumari which attracts large number of tourists.  As its name implies, it is essentially a sacred monument, built by the Vivekananda Rock Memorial Committee to commemorate the visit of Swamy Vivekananda to “Shripada Parai” during 24th, 25th and 26th December 1892 for deep meditation and enlightenment. 
From very ancient times, the rock has been regarded as sacred place.  In Puranic tradition, it has been known as “Sripada Parai: meaning the rock, that has been blessed by the touch of Shripada feet of the Goddess.On the rock, is a projection similar in form to a human fort and a little brownish in complexion, which has traditionally, been revered as a symbol of Shripadam.  According to legend, it was on this rock that Goddess Kanyakumari did Tapas.
The memorial consists of two main structures, viz (i) Vivekananda Mandapam and (ii) Shripada Mandapam. 
Vivekananda Mandapam:-  
This 180’-11 ½ ‘ X 56’ Mandapam consists of (1) Dhyana Mandapam, i.e., Meditation Hall with six adjacent rooms (2) Sabha Mandapam or the Assembly Hall including Pralima Mandapam (statue section) two rooms, a corridor and an open Prakaram round the Sabha Mandapam (30 Mukha Mandapam (Portion) and (4) the Front Entrance steps with two rooms and a corridor below the steps. 
Shripada Mandapam:- 
This    square hall consists of (1) Garbha Graham i.e., (Sanctum Sanctorum) (2) the Inner Prakaram (3) the Outer Prakaram and (4) the Outer Platform all around.  Both the Mandapams are so designed that the vision of Swamiji in the statue would be seen direct towards the Shripadam. Visting Hours -7 AM To  PM . Entrance Fee - Rs 10 . Ferry Fee Rs 20 for adult .and Rs 10 for students.
Sunrise can be  seen in Kanniyakumari through out the year at Bay of Bengal.  Sunset can be seen from View Tower through out the year except the months of June, July and August.

Panoramic view of landscape, seashore, Vivekananda Rock Memorial, Thiruvalluvar Statue etc., can be seen at View Tower and through Telescope.  
 Visiting hours:- 05.00 A.M. to 07.00 P.M.
 Entry Fee      :- Rs. 3 /- Adults and Rs. 2 /- for Children.

          The Government Museum, situated on the Beach Road offers a good collection of sculptured artifacts and crafts of South Indian Temples and is one of the “Must See” places in Kanyakumari.
            Visiting hours:- From 09.30 A.M. to 05.00 P.M. (All friday and second Saturday  holiday)
          Entry Fee      :- Adults Rs. 5 /- and Children Rs. 3 /-  per head. Foreigner Rs.100 /-
This is a 1000 year old temple and is said to have been built by the King Raja Raja Chola.  The architectural style of the Cholas is quiet apparent  in this temple.  It is located near Railway Station.  There are 16 inscriptions found  in this temple that date back to the years 1038 A.D., 1044 A.D., 1045 .A.D. 
Visiting hours:- From 06.00 to 11.15 A.M and 05.00 P.M to 08.45 P.M.

It is located south side of Kanyakumari Railway Station exhibits the pictures of historical wonders and also comprised rare photographs Kamarajar, Gandhiji and other freedom fighters.
            Visiting hours:- From 08.30 A.M to 08.30 P.M.
           Entry fees    :- Adults Rs. 10 /-  Students Rs. 5 /-.

Suchindrum is a small village about 12 km. from Kanyakumari and about seven kilometres from Nagercoil.  This holy place is located on the bank of the river Pazhayar, adjoining fertile fields and coconut groves and the temple is dedicated to Sri Sthanumalayan.  The word denotes Siva, Vishnu and Brahma as.  Sthanu represents Siva, Mal represents Vishnu while Ayan represents Brahma i.e. Siva, Vishnu and Brahma in “One Form”.   
   Suchindrum means the place where Indra attained ‘Suchi’ i.e., purification.  The Sthalapurana has it that Indra suffered a curse from sage Gowthama, when he stealthily cast amorous glances at Ahalya the wife of Gowthama.  Not able to suffer the mortification brought about by the curse.  Indra had to seek immediate redemption.  He came to ‘Gnana Aranya’ as this place was then called and offered worship to Lord Shiva.  Relieving Indra of his curse, Lord Shiva granted him of his wish that the place where he attained purification should henceforth be called ‘Suchindrum’. 
Another story goes to say that the Trimurthys i.e. Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva, cajoled by their divine consorts came down to the earth to test the chastity of Anusuya, wife of sage Athri at Gnana Aranya.  The Gods for this misadventure had to suffer a surse form the Rishipatni and to undergo the purification process, before they could be restored to their former glory. 
It is said that Thanumalaya Swamy temple is the only shrine dedicated to the Trinity in India.  The present structure of the temple is the work of a number of persons spread over a number of centuries.  It is a complex of many beautiful structures constructed at various times and is one of the best specimens and a store house of the Dravidian style of art and architecture. 
Kanyakumari Bagavathiamman Temple
Kanyakumari derives its name from from Goddess Kanyakumari Amman, the presiding deity of the area. The most prominent temple, the Kumari Amman, is dedicated to the goddess Parvathi as a virgin. The temple situated at the edge of the ocean for Goddess Kanyakumari  has the legendary account that once Banusura, the demon king got supremacy over Devas and meted out cruel punishment to them.  The Devas performed a Yagna pleading to annihilate the evils. Goddess Parasakthi came to Kumari in the form of a virgin girl and began her penance.  Meanwhile Lord Shiva fell in love with her and arrangements for the marriage were made in the midnight a particular day.  Now the Devine sage Narada realised that their marriage would destroy the chances of  annihilating Banusura  because he could be killed only by a virgin.  When Lord Shiva was on his way to Kanyakumari from Suchindrum at Valukkamparai 5 kms south of Suchindram, Sage Narada assumed the form of a cock and crowed falsely heralding the break of dawn.  Thinking that the auspicious time for the marriage was past, Lord Shiva returned disappointed.  The Goddess too decided to remain virgin after that.  Then, when Banusura attempted to win the Goddess by force, she killed him with her Chakragudha, and relieved the suffering s of Devas.  Then she resumed her penance and remained virgin. The contact telephone number of Devesthanam office, Bagavathiamman Temple is 04652-246223. Timings from 4.30 AM to 12.15 PM & 4.PM to 8.15 PM. Annual Festivals are  Car festival (May / June) and Navaratri (Nine Days) Festival (September / October).
  Udayagiri Fort                                                                       
The fort was rebuilt in the reign of Marthandavarma, the Venad King, during 1741-44.  Under the supervision of De Lannoy, the Belgian General, who served as the Chief of the Travancore army; East India Company’s troops were stationed there till the middle of the 19th century.    Foundry for the manufacture of guns, mortars and cannon balls were also established within the fort under the supervision of the General. 
In the early days, the fort was of strategic importance.  Prisoners captured in the campaign against Tippu were confined in this fort for sometime.   It is further said that a brass gun 16 ft. long bored as a 22 ponder, found in the fort could not be removed even for a few yards by a large number of people, even with the help of 16 elephants. 
A village has come up in front of the fort.  The people who live here, are mostly agriculturists.  A few of them are engaged in trade.  Pottery making is the chief Industry among a section of the people. Now, the District Administration, with the help of Forest Department has set up a Biodiversity Park over here. Tourists can see deer, ducks, fountains, birds and over 100 varieties of trees inside the fort.
Mathoor Hanging Bridge 
The  Mathoor Hanging Trough is the tallest as well as the longest trough bridge in Asia, having a height of 115 feet and a length of one kilometre.  Constructed in 1966, this bridge has become a place of tourist importance and hundreds of tourists visit this place.  This is situated in Mathoor, hamlet of Aruvikkarai revenue village in Thiruvattar Panchayat Union. 
The bridge has been constructed at Mathoor across the river Parazhiyar at a cost of Rs. 12.90/- lakhs and the trough canal (Pattanamkal canal) on the bridge carries water for irrigation from one side of a hill to the other side of a hill.  The trough has a height of seven feet with a width of seven feet six inches.  The canal is being shouldered by  28 huge pillars.  By the unrelented efforts of late Thiru. K. Kamaraj, the former Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu, this canal was constructed as a drought relief measure and for the development of agriculture in Vilavancode and Kalkulam Taluks. The District Administration has recently put up a staircase from top to the bottom of the bridge and also built a children's park and bathing platforms over here.
             The details of the bridge are:    Hydraulics Particulars 
Length of flume 
1240 ft. (378.05M)
7’-6’ (2.286 M)
Height of trough
7’-0 (2.13 M)
 Full supl. level 
5’-6/(1.68 M)
Free board (3-4) 
1’6’ (0.46 M)
5.1 Ft. per second / (1.55M/Sec)
204 C.ft/Sec. 
No. of span pillars
 Length of span
40 feet (12.195 M)
Bed level, trough at start 
230.55 (Cms.)
Bed level, trough at end 
229.17 (Cms.)
Maximum height above ground level 
104’.00 (28 M)
Construction cost
Rs. 12.90 lakhs

   St. Xavier Church                                    
                        St.Xavier an outstanding and dedicated priest visited the coastal areas of Tamil Nadu from Goa, he never missed the opportunity of visiting Kottar in Kanniyakumari district which was a celebrated commercial centre at that time.  During his stay at Kottar, he used to worship St. Mary in the small temple.  He was popularly known as “Valiya Pandaram” among the people of Kottar.  While he was at Kottar, he averted the invasion of Padagas on the people of Venad which was appreciated by the king, who became closer to the Priest.  In recognition of Xavier’s services, the king allotted a land to him for the purpose of constructing a catholic church at Kottar.  There was already a church in 1544 in the same place, where the St. Xavier’s church stands now. 
 The church records show that the church was built in the year 1600 A.D.  In the year 1865, the Church was enlarged and the shrine of our lady was also renovated and vaulted over.  In 1930, the church was raised to the status of a Cathedral.    
In 1942, in commemoration of the fourth centenary of the arrival of St.Xavier in India, a beautiful tower to the saint, a grotto to Out Blessed Mother and a small shrine to St.Ignatius who sent him to India were constructed in the Cathedral premises.  In 1955, the church was further extended and the chapel of Our Lady was incorporated into the enlarged church.

The Church of St. Xavier enjoys a great fame as a place of miracles from early times.  The annual festival is celebrated during the month of November – December lasting for 10 days.
 Padmanabhapuram Palace
The ancient historical town Padmanabhapuram is one of the four municipalities in the district is 55 Km. south of Trivandrum, about two km. east of Thuckalay and 35 km. from Kanyakumari on the Trivandrum-Cape Comerin road.  This town is  surrounded by a fort with an area of 187 acres.  The ancient capital of Travancore might be constructed before AD 1601.  The palace with an area of seven acres, is situated in the very centre on the Padmanabhapuram Fort, amidst hills, dales and rivers.  The palace which is situated in Kanyakumari District is under the control of a Curator of the Archaeological Department of Kerala Government. 
            The fort which was built with mud originally was dismantled and reconstructed with granite by Maharaja Marthanda Varma.  The height of the walls varies from 15’ to 24’ according to the inclination of the ground.   
Entrance Hall:-  The entrance to the main edifice is controlled by another ornamental gateway with retainers for watch and ward.  The gabled entrance has wooden ceiling profusely ornamented with lotus medallions.  The most striking feature of the entrance is the clock-tower which is one of the oldest in India erected in 1832 A.D. and still continues to be in working order.
            The first floor the Poomuham has a council chamber or Mantrasala which is meant for holding discussions with ministers and prominent citizens.  The floor off this hall, which is polished with the admixture of coconut shell ashes, eggs fermented in molasses and lime reflects the figure like a mirror.  Next to the Mantrasala is the Dancing Hall which was used exclusively for the members of the royal family. 
            Adjacent to the Council Chamber and to the south of dancing hall is the dinning hall called “Uttupura”, with two floors (the ground and the first) each measuring roughly 78 by 6 metres and it would accommodate about 2000 people at a time.   Feeding of about 2000 poor persons, it is said, was done here every day and so the king was called ”Dharmaraja”. 
Uppirika Malika : - The most attractive building in the whole palace is the ‘Uppirika Malika’ which consists of three storied.  ‘Uppirika’ is the abbreviated term of ‘Muppirika’ which means the residence of the eldest member of the family.  A wooden cot is erected on the top most floor in the belief that “Lord Vishnu” the chief deity.  The first floor contains a wooden cot made of 64 medicinal plants, on which Maharaja used to sleep.  The medicinal cot was presented to Maharaja “Marthanda Varma” by the Dutch East India Company in 1750, as a mark of friendship. 
The Navarathri Mandapa: - 
To the west of the Zuppirika Mandapa is the Navarathri Mandapa which is a spacious hall of exquisitely beautiful granite pillars with drooping pendants reminiscent of the Nayakar style of architecture.  In the Navarathri Mandapa, performances of Bharatha Natya and musical recitals took place in the royal presence. Entry Fee Rs 25 for Adult & Rs.10 for Children.
Fees for Foreigners : Adult Rs 200 & Children Rs 50 Video and Camera Fee are Rs 1500 & Rs 25 Respectively Separate fee for Car parking.
Pechiparai Dam           
About 43 km. from Nagercoil this dam has been constructed.  This dam in Kalkulam Taluk, was built during the days of the Maharaja Sri Moolam Thirunal across the river Kodayar.  The construction of the dam was designed on the pattern of the Periyar dam in the Madurai district.  The length of the dam is 425.1 mts.  It has a catchment area of 204.8  There is a camp shed provided at the dam side for the visitors.  The weather is very pleasant and hence attracts a large number of tourists.
 The reservoir is surrounded by dense forests which are famous for their valuable trees and rich would life such as tiger, elephants, deer etc. A hill tribe, small in number known as ‘Kanikars’ dwell in the dense forests around the lake.
Peer Mohammed Durha                                                      
There is a durha named ‘Peer Mohamed Oliyullah Durha’ at Thuckalay named after the great philosopher Mohamed Appa, who was born in Tenkasi of Tirunelveli District.  After spending sometime in spiritual pursuits in Peermedu of Kerala State he came and stayed at Thuckalay.  Being a Tamil poet of great eminence, he wrote many books on philosophy.  He had intimate relationship with the Kings of Chera dynasty.  It is said that he laid foundation stone for the Padmanabhapuram Granite Fort.  
The Anniversary of the great philosopher poet is celebrated every year on a grand scale on the full moon day in the month of Rajap.  Both the people of Kerala and Tamil Nadu attend the celebrations on large numbers irrespective of their caste, creed and religion.
 Tirparappu Water Falls  
The Kodayar makes its descend at Tirparappu and the water fall at this place is about 13km. from Pechiparai dam. 
The river bed is rocky and about 300 feet in length.  The water falls from a height of nearly 50 feet and the water flows for about seven months in a year.  The whole bed above the falls is one rocky mass which extends up to a distance of about quarter of a kilometer upstream where the famous Thirparappu weir has been constructed for supplying water to the paddy fields.  On either side of the river, on the left bank of the river in between the water falls and the weir, there is a temple dedicated to Siva enclosed by strong fortification.   The District Administration has recently constructed a swimming pool for children over here which is very popular among the children.
Maruthuva Malai 
The Maruthuva Malai also known as the Marunthu Vazhum Malai – the abode of medicinal herbs, forms from part of the western ghats.  According to tradition, the Maruthuva Malai is a fragment of the Sanjeevi Mountain, a piece of which fell down here, and it was carried by Hanuman from Mahendragiri to Srilanka for healing the fatal wounds of Lakshmana, the brother of Rama, the epic hero.  It stretches for more than a km, reaching a height of 800 feet at the highest point.  It is about 11km. from   Nagercoil.
Chitharal is a small village situated at a distance of 7 Kms., from Marthandam and 45 Kms, from Kanyakumari. It is famous for the Rock-cut temple.  Hillock at Chitharal has a cave containing Rock-cut sculptures of Thirthankaras and attendent deities carved inside and outside dating back to 9th  Century A.D.  It was converted into Bagavathy Temple in the 13th Century A.D. Cars and Vans can go upto the foot of the hill.  One has to walk for about 10 minutes to reach the temple.  The Jain images have been preserved Central Archeological Survey of India
 Muttom Beach
The famous beach at Muttom is located about 16 kms from Nagercoil and 32 kms from Kanyakumari. Muttom is famous for its beautiful landscaping and high rocks dipping into the sea at the beach-side. The sun set view point at Muttom is one of the most Panoramic view points in the district. Another attraction of Muttom is the century old light-house built by the British. However so far this beautiful beach has always been unsafe for the tourists since the rocks on which tourists go to see the sea view are slippery and a number of fatal accidents have occurred over the past few years.  The district administration, decided to put protective stainless steel fencing across the entire dangerous areas and also to put up small open huts at the rock tops for the tourists to sit and watch the massive sea waves leisurely with protection from sun and rain. The fencing work and the small huts have already been completed to the delight of the tourists who mob the beach in hundreds during week ends. Sitting benches have also been constructed in a circle for the elders to chit-chat, relax and enjoy the sun set. Seeing the response of the tourists, the district administration has sanctioned for the construction of a toilet complex, a small shopping complex and a children's park at a cost of Rs.11.60 lakhs and there are plans to undertake sculpture - works across the rocks to add to the ambience of the area.
 Sanguthurai Beach
Sanguthurai is a beautiful beach resort and is very convenient for the local population of Nagercoil.  It is only about 10 kms from the city. Unfortunately no infrastructure facilities were available in this beach. The district administration has now sanctioned a project for putting up of a children's park, seating facility, open huts (Kudils) with Terracotta roofs and lighting facility at the beach at a cost of Rs.6.00 lakhs. The entire work has been completed. It is also proposed to put up a few shops for Women Self Help Groups at the site, which can provide eatables to the on coming tourists at the beach side.
 Vattakottai (Circular Fort)
VATTAKOTTAI (Agasteeswaram Taluk):    Vattakottai, a granite fort six kilometres north-east of Kanyakumari cape, forms the terminal of a line of ramparts known as the South Tranvancore lines built by Marthanda Varma to serve as defence for Nanjil Nadu.  It is rectangular in  shape and  covers an area of about three and a half acres.  The fort is enclosed by walls 25 to 26 feet high, including the parapet, 29 feet thick at the front, 18 feet at the corners and 6 feet at the rear.  The portion running into the area is the most strongly built under  the orders of  De Lannoy during the reign of Mathandavarma (1729-58).  About 1810 A.D. the British forces under the  command of St. Leger marched into Nanjilnad through the Aramboly pass  and demolished the defence lines.  The small river by the side of the fort, and the green vegetation all around add to the scenery of the fort and has now become a holiday resort and picnic centre. 
            It is said that there is a subway or tunnel about four feet width, supposed to connect the padmanabhapuram palace.  Now the tunnel has been closed.  On the northern side of the fort is found a slop to being the canon from the lower to the upper part of the parapet of the fort.  There is well of about 6’ diameter. The whole wall around the fort is repaired and fresh mortar is being applied. Literary or epigraphical evidences are not in store to know much about Vattakotai.  However, from the evidence left by the fort itself, it may be presumed that his fort was the military base to protect the Kumari port which  was a rich pearl harbour.  Since the emblem of the Pandya Kings was ‘Fish’ and we find this emblem in some of the places of the fort, it can be safely concluded that the Pandya Kings had control over this fort for sometime. 
            Next to Vattakottai, we can see the traces of a light house in Leepuram being called  so after Colonel Lee who has destroyed most of the Kadukkarai Kanyakumari Fort in 1806.  This is a picnic spot, the sea is calm and suitable for bathing.
Chothavilai Beach 
This beach is about 10 Kms from Kanyakumari, is one of the best natural beaches of the district. The beach has shallow water and High sand dunes on the back ground. The District Administration has through its own funds and through the funds of MPLAD scheme, put up rest shelters, kudils and a view tower over here for the benefit of tourists. The tourists can reach the beach through the newly laid coastal road which is a very beautiful drive along the sea-coast.

Ulakkai Aruvi is a natural waterfall situated in Azhagiapandipuram village of Thovalai Taluk.  Water is available in this water fall in the summer season.  Many tourists come here for bathing and to enjoy the nature.  The pathway to this waterfall lies in the Reserve Forest.

        This is a natural dam constructed by T. Chitirai Maharaja.  If supplies water to Nagercoil Municipality and it is also proposed  to get water from here for Suchindrum and Kanniyakumari.  It is very picturesque spot and ideal for picnics  by  groups.

BAY WATCH  (Water Theme Amusement Park), Kanyakumari
The water theme  amusement park at sunset   point offers a unique way to experience the exotic grandeur of Kanyakumari in its integrals.  Baywatch comes up with a wholesome family entertainment saga of rapturous experience, which leaves you at a point of nonstop excitement in a thrilling and bewitching water world.  Great fun styles equaling international standards keep you on the ecstatic brink of frenzy.  Fun loaded rides like Bumping Car, Sky Cab, Crazy Chairs, Hot Tea Cups, Giant Wheel, Columbus, Wave pool, Milky Way, Multiple Splash, Kids Pool are some of our attractions. The location being a prominent place of national integration, by all means, Baywatch has become the abode of leisure, happiness laughter, family gatherings, etc. The search for providing unique and multiple entertainment facilities that match with international standards pave the way for introduction of India’s first Wax Museum, which is line with the Madam Tussauds Wax Museum at London.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...